The Department of History at the University of Salzburg : Scientific Assistant in research and teaching
GZ A 0118/1-2015
The Department of History at the University of Salzburg invites applications for the position of a Scientific Assistant in research and teaching according to the Austrian University Act (UG 2002) and the Austrian Employee Act (Angestelltengesetz). This corresponds with the position of a university assistant according to § 26 Collective Agreement (Kollektivvertrag) for Universities (Senior Scientist). The salary as stated in the collective agreement and according to the classification scheme (B1) is EUR 2.692,90 gross per month (14 times a year ).
• Envisaged job starting date : 01/04/2016
• Duration of employment : 1,5 years
• Hours per week : 30
• Working time : by arrangement
• Areas of responsibility : Scientific support in the research and teaching, as well as participation in administrative tasks. The successful candidate should have a research focus on cross-cultural and/or commercial, exchange relations, scientific knowledge transfer or migration along the overland or maritime Silk Roads between China and the greater (Eur-)Asian world, with a focus on middle period history (c. 400-1300). Applications from candidates with a focus on the historical interconnectivity between China and Southeast Asia or Central/Eurasia are especially welcome. Support in research and teaching (2 hours) in the field of Non-European and Global History ; administrative functions, independent research ; participation in the research project « The East Asian Mediterranean - The Indian Ocean World : The Making of the First Global Economy in the Context of Human-Environment Interaction » is required (cf. http://indianoceanworldcentre.com/Team_3)
• Job requirements : Doctoral degree in Non-European and Global History or a comparable degree, best in Sinology, with a focus on Global History. Two letters of reference are required. The successful candidate should be open for new methodological approaches including the combination of textual and archaeological sources, possesses an excellent command of classical and modern Chinese, basic German, as well as fluency in English. Experience in the analysis of historical inscriptions (such as tomb inscriptions) would be helpful. Working languages will be English and German
• Desired personal characteristics : Capacity for teamwork. The position provides the successful candidate with the opportunity to work in an international and interdisciplinary network of global historians working on China and Asia.
Applications should be addressed to the rector of Salzburg University, Univ.-Prof. Dr. Heinrich Schmidinger, and be sent in written form, indicating the number of vacancy (GZ A 0118/1-2015) with usual documents, cv, photo to the Serviceeinrichtung Personal, Kapitelgasse 4, 5020 Salzburg, Austria, and those in English additionally electronically via e-mail to :
E-mail : personal sbg.ac.at
Deadline is January 27, 2016 For further information or assistance please call +43/662-8044/4750.