Position, Postdoctoral Fellow - « Sovereignty and International Law in the PR China »
Freie Universität Berlin, Graduate School of East Asian Studies
Deadline : 2016 December 12th
The Graduate School of East Asian Studies (GEAS) brings together research in East Asian Studies (Japanese, Korean and Chinese Studies) with training in the social sciences (Political Science, Economics, Law, Social and Cultural Anthropology) as well as History and Cultural Studies. The training program is interdisciplinary with special emphasis on historically and culturally informed social science inquiry.
The post-doctoral position involves undertaking research within the working group on “Sovereignty and International Law in the PRC”, led by the GEAS Einstein Visiting Fellow Plus, Prof. Gunter Schubert (Tübingen). The postdoctoral fellow will conduct a research project investigating the relationship between Chinese discourses on International Law and the making of China’s foreign and/or security policy. The postdoctoral fellow will coordinate the research activities of the working group in close cooperation with the Einstein Visiting Fellow and GEAS, including coordination of a group of graduate student-researchers and contributing to the working group’s activities as much as to GEAS activities.
Description of tasks
- Collaboration in the Einstein Visiting Fellow Plus research project
- Coordination of research activities in the EVFplus group
- Conducting an individual research project in the working group on “Sovereignty and International Law in the PRC”
- Completed PhD in Chinese Studies by the time of appointment
- Disciplinary background in the Social Sciences or International Law
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese (speaking and reading) and English
- Very good knowledge of qualitative or quantitative research methods
- Interdisciplinary research experience
Additional qualifications :
- Fluency in German
- Empirical research focus on Chinese discourses on International law/law of Nations and Chinese foreign and/or security policy
- Fieldwork experience in China
- Teaching experience
Applications quoting the reference code GEAS/Postdoc/EVF+ should include a brief letter summarizing the applicant’s qualifications for the position, a current CV, and names of three references.
Women are explicitly encouraged to apply. Handicapped applicants will be preferred in case of equal qualifications. Applications from people with a migration background who meet the recruitment requirements are desirable. Interview costs cannot be covered by the Freie Universität Berlin. Application documents will not be returned. Please submit your documents only in copy. All materials, including a private postal and e-mail address, must be received in pdf form and by email no later than December 12, 2016 at application geas.fu-berlin.de.