Call for applications - MERICS European China Talent Program 2017 gathers post-graduates and young professionals for a three-day workshop in Berlin
The Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) seeks to encourage young Europeans to deepen their engagement with contemporary China. Each year, the MERICS European China Talent Program gathers a select group of 15 young China experts from across Europe in Berlin to give them an opportunity to discuss topical issues in European China policy with senior decision-makers from politics, business and civil society.
Following two successful workshops in 2015 and 2016, we are looking forward to assembling another inspiring cohort of people eager to deepen their understanding of China and its impact on Europe and become part of a unique Europe-wide network of future China experts. Participants will also get valuable insights into the largest European research institute focusing on contemporary China as well as different China-related career paths.
The three-day program, which is organized by the MERICS European China Policy Unit, will take place from 25 to 28 April 2017 in Berlin.
Application documents are expected to consist of a one-page CV highlighting your previous China-related experience and an essay (one page, max. 4000 characters). Please do not add any other documents or references.
Your essay should be as concise as possible and answer the following question : « What’s the most pressing challenge for European China policy in times of political fragmentation and how can it be tackled most effectively ? »
- Taking into consideration the current domestic and international challenges facing European governments and EU institutions alike, select one policy area where you think an increasingly fragmented Europe should act to strengthen European China policy.
- Explain why this is an important area for European China policy (e.g. a challenge emanating from Chinese policies, the changing international context, a new opportunity to advance EU-China cooperation) and why Europe urgently needs to act.
- Make one concrete policy proposal to advance European China policy in this area, suggesting concrete steps regarding who should do what to implement your idea.
Application requirements :
- Young professional or recent Masters or PhD graduate with a strong China background (Sinology/Chinese studies is not a requirement, China-related experience from any field is welcome !) ; advanced postgraduate students with relevant prior work experience are also eligible
- Strong interest in contemporary Chinese politics as well as European policy-making
- Willingness to prepare substantive input in advance of the program
- European citizen
- Excellent command of the English language
- Good Chinese skills are a strong asset
Successful applicants will receive a travel allowance, board and lodging for the duration of the seminar and a certificate of their successful participation in the program.
If you would like to apply for the MERICS European China Talent Program 2017, please send your application as one single PDF file (2 pages only !) to Bertram Lang (bertram.lang(at)merics.de) until 7 February 2017. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to take part in a Skype interview in mid-February.
We are looking forward to your application and your perspective on Europe-China relations.
For more information about the MERICS European China Talent Program and the European China Policy Unit, click here.